Demitu Hambisa Bonsa
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary and Permanent Representative of Ethiopia to FAO, IFAD and WFP, Ambassador of Italy
Mrs. Demitu Hambisa Bonsa is currently assigned as Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary and Permanent Representative of Ethiopia to FAO, IFAD and WFP, Ambassador of Italy.
Before that, she was served as Minister, Head of Office of the Prime Minister, and the Council of Ministers’ Affair‘s for the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
Mrs. Demitu Hambisa’s demonstrative leadership career started in July 1982 in the Nekemte Comprehensive High School in Nekemte – Oromia region as a high school teacher, a department head, and a unit leader. In February 1994, she was transferred to the Nekemte District Education Office where she served as head of the office. In July 1996 she served as head of the East Wellega Zone Office of Women’s Affairs.In December 2003, she was transferred to the Oromia Regional Bureau of Women’s Affairs. While at the Oromia Regional Bureau of Women’s Affairs, Mrs. Demitu served as director for women’s economic empowerment, executive advisor for social and women affairs to the President of Oromia, at the Office of the President for the Oromia Regional State. After a successful tenure at the Office of the President for the Oromia Regional State, Mrs. Demitu served as a lawyer at the Public Prosecutor for the Oromia Justice Bureau, head of Micro and Small Enterprise (MES), and House of Speaker for the Oromia Regional State Council.Mrs. Demitu was a member of the House of Federation of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and a Constitutional Inquiry committee member .Mrs. Demitu was advanced to the Federal level to serve the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia’s government where she was appointed as the Minister of Science and Technology from November 2013 to 2016 . After serving three years as a Minster at the Ministry of Science and Technology, Mrs. Demitu led the Ethiopian government’s Public Enterprises for a year (2017) and then was transferred to lead the Ministry of Women’s and Children’s Affairs.In this capacity, Mrs. Demitu led the mobilization of community resources to ensure sustainable protection for vulnerable children, the empowerment of women development groups and created impactful awareness to increase health service utilization by women and children which included the pre-screening of cancer through free examination for women. In addition, she spearheaded the establishment of the district women’s council members and the inter-districts council forums platform and the development of a district-net information system to ensure districts successfully share information and exchange best practices.After an extensively effective and significant career path, Mrs. Demitu was appointed as Head of Office of the Prime Minister and the Council of Ministers’ Affair at the Office of the Prime Minister of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia where she served for three years (2018 up to January 2021).
- Masters of Arts in Transformational Leadership and Change from the University of Greenwich UK, (1st July 2011).
- A Bachelor of Law (LLB) Degree from Ethiopian Civil Service University (2007)
- Diploma in Chemistry from Addis Ababa University,(1982).
Mrs. Demitu Hambisa Bonsa was born on 16 January 1966 at Oromia, Region in Ethiopia, Southwest of the capital city, Addis Ababa. She is married with four children.
Achievements and Awards:
Mrs. Demitu Hambissa Bonsa has received various high-level awards for her remarkable achievement of institutional set goals. Below are a few acclaimed awards:
- Awarded by Abiy Ahmed Ali, Prime Minister, the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia for Best Performance in project management, dedication, honesty, and impactful leadership, and also for leading and manage the construction of UNITY PARK, a National project to pay tribute to Ethiopia’s generational legacy (October 10, 2019 ).
- Awarded as Best Performing Leader of BPR ( Business Process Reengineering) : received the award at the time, from Prime Minister Hilamariyam Dessalegn when she served as the minister for Ministry of Science and Technology (March 2015).
- Enabler of Vision Award: presented by the Center for Economic and Leadership Development during the International Conference on Gender and Sustainability in New York for transformational leadership as the Minister for the Ministry of Women’s and Children’s Affairs—(September 21, 2017).
- Award Certificate of Honorary Membership from Ethiopian Space science Society (March 2019)